I’ve wanted to knit the Child’s French Sock from Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush for forever. I tried knitting them in Amethyst from Cherry Tree Hill. Wrong color. I nearly cast on in Malabrigo Impressionist Skies (medium blue) and Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in Pine (med-dark green), but I realized that they were the wrong colors too. I wanted Strawberry Red, and I couldn’t find it. I found scarlet, vermillion, crimson, barn red, apple red, Christmas red, rosy-red, orange-red, you name it. But not stawberry red: a true but soft red.
Then a few weeks ago, M called me at work from the chair lift he was riding while taking the day off to ski. He was having a wonderful time. The weather and skiing were glorious! I went shopping at Sundara Yarn. And there it was: Confessions! Confessions! a.k.a. strawberry red. I bought it (and perhaps some other colors too) and waited for it to arrive. It looked good. And then I waited for the strawberries to come in to compare.
How do you think I did?
Well, M is back safe and sound, but while he was gone last week, I did get quite a bit done. Most importantly my March socks are completed.
To review, these are Roger Socks from Knitspot (Rav link) knit in some 100% BFL wool dyed by Little Dog Designs (which only lists merino sock yarn now). She called the colorway Poseidon. The BFL doesn’t have the sproing and bounce of merino, but I really like the feel of it and how it knits up. In The Knitter’s Book of Wool, Clara Parkes points out the BFL takes dye beautifully, and I agree, plus there is a definite luster.
As for the pattern, like all Knitspot patterns, it is very well written. Anne designed the Roger Sock for a guy named Roger, and it is a good pattern for a male sock. However, in the brighter colors here, I think it makes a nice tailored sock for a woman too. The only mods I made was to have 3 garter stitch edges to the heel flap and to knit the foot at 60 not 64 st. I knit 4.5 repeats for the foot, and when I knit this again, I should only knit 4 repeats and a couple rounds plain. I grafted the toes at 24 stitches, and the socks are a wee bit long over the little toes. The stitch pattern was easy but not boring, similar to Cookie A’s Monkey sock in complexity and ease of memorization.
One evening, I went out to take some sunset photos at the field next to our building. I had that feeling I was being watched, and sure enough I was:
I spy a neighborhood kitty! And in the cropped image below, readers of mine familiar with dairy farms, will understand why I refer to him/her as Holstein Kitty.
Holstein Kitty doesn’t let me get close, but it does meow at me, and I’ll meow back. After we got bored staring at each other, Holstein Kitty went out into the field, no doubt to hunt field mice, and I took some photos of the sunset. The colors weren’t spectacular, but the multiple layers of clouds were pretty cool.
18 mm, f22, ISO 200, 1/13 sec
At 4:20 a.m. this morning, M boarded the airport shuttle and flew to Keystone, Colorado for a conference. I’ll pick him up Friday around 5:00 p.m. This gives me quite a bit more free time than I am used to. Plus, Friday is a university holiday, Cesar Chavez Day, so I can stay home without taking any vacation time. I’ve been thinking what I would like to do during that free time, and this is what I’ve come up with.
Finish my March pair of socks, Roger, by Anne Hanson of Knitspot.
I noticed that the Yarn Harlot has already finished an entire pair of Roger socks for her March socks. I’m just going to assume that I got more biochemistry experiments done than she has done so far this month.
I would also like to get my Frost Diamonds shawl done, which currently photographs like a big lump. I still have 56 g left in my first skein! I’m half way through a third repeat of the main chart. It takes me nearly an hour to do two rows. I’ve got about 10 hours before the bind off.
Now that M is not in his office for a few days, I’d like to get my shawlette, fleck stitch version of the Frost Diamonds shawl blocked on its vast floorspace. I may have forgotten that I knit this for a few
Finally, I want to get this sweater I bought, which fits me nearly perfectly, measured so I can use Ann Budd’s The Knitter’s Handy Book of Sweater Patterns to design and knit a different version with a simple stitch pattern from Annie Maloney with this Venezia worsted I received as a Christmas present a couple years ago. The sweater has 3/4 sleeves and set-in sleeves and classic ribbing as edges. Very basic and wearable.
All this should keep me busy!